Monday, September 15, 2014

Sweetgrass and Wheatgrass


I don't think I ever blogged about the field trip the kids and I took this spring, shortly before the end of school. In fact, Amy actually skipped a day of school so we could go to Boone Hall, a Charleston area must-see that we were running out of time to see before we moved. Anyway, it was a great day and while we were there I finally indulged in a Sweetgrass basket to remember our time in the low-country. 

I am so very glad I did, because now it sits on a table here in the PNW and whenever I find myself missing the south I just take a whiff of this basket and the sweet and, er, grassy smell takes me right back to a South Carolina. 

On a completely different grassy note, have I mentioned that we have a greenhouse in our backyard? It isn't very pretty and like every other building in this town really needs a coat of paint, but the inside is warm and bright and just lovely and I can't wait to start some seeds come springtime. I have always wanted a greenhouse. 



Saturday evening Don grilled and the kids played and I escaped in here for a short but, drink in hand, to put the little plastic pot of wheatgrass from the grocery store into a more attractive pot. It was five minutes of gardening bliss. 


We have not been allowing our cats outside so I'm hoping they'll enjoy this as a little kitty-friendly greenery in the windowsill.

No comments:

Post a Comment