Friday, January 10, 2014

Schoolgirl


For reasons I don't fully understand, riding the bus is not the norm for schools here in SC. Therefore, I transport Amy to and from school every. single. day. Fortunately, it is less than 5 minutes up the road, but that's still a lot of in and out of the car. However, I did not come here to complain. 

When we get home most days Amy announces "I'm riding the bus" before she gets out of the car, walks a little way up the road while I go inside, and then rings the doorbell 90 seconds later. I, then, must greet her as though I have not yet seen her that afternoon, and she then tells me about her day. 

Today was the 90th day of school, and I am relieved to be halfway done. Amy and I both continue to have mixed feelings about kindergarten. She loves school for the stimulation, the friends, her teachers, and the enrichment it brings to her day. I love it for how quickly she has advanced in her learning. I love her teachers and her school nearly as much as I loved my own elementary school. It's a great place and continues to be, on the whole, a positive experience. On the flip side, I still hate being beholden to the school calendar. I miss my parents so and would love to snatch the kids and take a trip north, but I can't do that without careful consideration of school missed. We all hate getting up so early. I dislike the "attitude" that Amy brings home sometimes when she's tired, and I hate seeing her tired. I still think that a full day of school is too much for a six year old. 

But for now we are enjoying the whole experience for what it is and I look forward to forming a plan for next year once we know where we will be moving to. 

On an unrelated note, my reader(s) may have noticed my increased blogging frequency and I would like to officially declare my intention to post something every day of 2014. I was inspired by Rebecca and I hope I can see the project through, if for no other reason than to have a snapshot of each day recorded for my own enjoyment. I hope you will enjoy these snapshots, along with the occasional rambling paragraphs, as much as I will enjoy writing them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment