Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mother's Day Quilt


My Mother's Day treat this year was my decision to spend Caroline's morning naptime hand-sewing the binding on this quilt, thereby finishing it and removing it from my kitchen counter "I'm-working-on-this-project-really-I-am-pile". Insert happy sigh here. 

This might be my favorite quilt yet. The fabric is from a Moda charm pack ("Scrumptious", I think), with just white in between and on the back, and I squeaked out just enough strips from another fat quarter to make the binding without buying any additional fabric. The quilt measures 42ish inches square. I did some loopy free-motion quilting over the whole thing. 



I feel like I can't really claim any artistic genius or real creativity here, as I did pretty much the simplest thing you can do with a fabric collection already coordinated and already cut. But I really, truly, love the colors and it was a quick and satisfying project. Amy got me started on this one, when she and I spent some post-bedtime Big Girl time together. She planned out the top after I suggested the basic idea, and she did sew a few squares on the machine herself. She wanted this to be for Caroline, which was perfect because it is just right for a floor/play quilt for now and can go on a wall later. 

Just for fun, here are the other quilts I've made and kept for myself: 


They are all pretty different... I wish I had a more consistent style but I'm drawn to so many different looks and colors that I'm kind of all over the place when it comes to what I like. Oh, and I almost forgot, there's this big one, too. And I have one completed top finished over a year ago that has yet to be quilted. There have also been a few others that have gone off as gifts. 

For my birthday I bought another fabric assortment with the intention of making a bed-sized quilt for Caroline, but I have a feeling I won't be working on that till we reach the west coast. And of course the fabrics don't match this most recent quilt at all! 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I love it :) Very cool that Amy had a part in it.

    ReplyDelete