Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Rest

Quick, picture-less post from me tonight, just so I don't lose my momentum.

This pregnancy has been going smoothly enough, but it has been forcing a big lesson on me: the need to rest.

It is not in my programming to admit that I can't do it all. I really would like to keep up appearances that I am superwoman.

And this is not to say that I'm letting things slide, either. But guess what? The tub needs a scrubbing... it did yesterday and it will tomorrow, too. I'm not taking points off for not getting to it today.

It's hard to pin down why I feel so much more physically tired this go around. Could be because it's my third and I'm all stretchy and such. Could be because there are two others who need my energy, too. Could be because I'm thirty, and not 24 or 27 like the last times. Or could just be getting up at 6:30 for school every day. Or all of the above. 

Some days I'm more tired than others, and plenty of days I'm perky and energized, but generally this baby is requiring me to sit down or put my feet up quite a bit in order to make it through the day.

And I am coming to accept that that is not a bad thing. When I put my feet up in the morning I can watch PBS shows with William and work on my crocheting. In the afternoon Amy and William and I sit around the kitchen table and play Legos or draw or talk. And we have an awesome rocking chair on the front porch that makes a great spot to watch the kids ride their bikes. Not every moment has to involve me crossing something off my personal to-do list.

Tonight I've got the TV remote all to myself so I am going to keep with the resting theme, and rather than feel like I need to make it a "work" night of taming papers on my desk, I'm going to take a nice long shower and get cozy on the couch with some HGTV.

Rest is a very good thing indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment