Sunday, March 29, 2015

Spring Break Recap

Oh, it has been a lovely week here. A and W's school had spring break this past week, so we had a wonderful reprieve from the hurry-up-get-in-the-car twice or thrice daily routine, and for the most part had a very low-key week. I'm not much of a cruise director when it comes to my kids' free time. Adventures and outings are great, but I try to avoid the expectation of external entertainment. Sometimes this makes me feel like a pretty lame mom, but mostly I think we are striking a good balance, and this week sorta highlighted that; the pace felt good. Let's take a stroll through the highlights, shall we? 

Lest it all seem rosy, I should mention that last Friday afternoon found me at the doctor's office with a miserable Caroline, who was quickly diagnosed with pneumonia. Score one for the fact that she still loves nursing, because that was her only comfort and I think what saved her from dehydration as she wouldn't drink or eat otherwise for a day or so. But, she bounced back extremely quickly on antibiotics, and was good as new by the end of the weekend. 

Saturday morning - I had a headache and didn't feel great but C was better and Don insisted I stick with my plan to go out by myself for a bit in the morning as my birthday treat. I'm glad I did, because I had a lovely, quiet time drooling though this yarn shop 


and skimming through some of the cute antique stores downtown. Very enjoyable morning. 

Sunday, my 32nd birthday! Don went to church but the rest of us had a calm quiet day at home. I tidied up my sewing room and baked a cake. The kids were super sweet. It was a perfect birthday. 


Monday started like this - no wonder I always wake up with a kink in my neck, I was somewhere on that pillow mere moments before I took this picture: 


We had a rocking good time in Walmart buying a cartful of groceries, one transformer and one Barbie, spending quarters on the coin machines at the exit, and capping it all off with McDonald's for lunch. Quite the day. I took tons of pictures of C putting Lego helmets on her toes, as I mentioned in my last post. 

Tuesday, a home day. We spent a long time outside, and watched this snail making good speed across the patio: 


Wednesday: quick outting to the post office and Joann Fabrics so I could get thread for my latest quilting project. Otherwise, there was knitting, and much Transformer playing. 



Thursday: another day at home, except for a quick trip out to pick up D from work. I made pumpkin bars and had a proper tea party with the big kids. 


Oh, and there was this moment: 


Friday, our big out-on-the-town adventure day. To cap off a fun week, we treated ourselves to a loaded day. I took the kiddos pottery painting, we went to the art museum, out to lunch, and to a vintage-y toy store. The kids loved being in "the city" and all three were so happy and well-behaved and enthusiastic the whole time, it was such fun. 





Field-trip points awarded to Mommy. 

Saturday, another home day, Daddy got back from a brief business trip, and we had a Harry Potter movie night. Amy wanted her hair curly, so we tried rag curls for the first time. Cute! 


And today, Palm Sunday. We all went to church, Amy happily sporting her curls...


and in the afternoon we enjoyed another nice springy day. I finished cleaning out the greenhouse and got a whole bunch of seeds started. It was such a lovely, relaxing time. I don't know quite what to make of the growing season here - it is still rather chilly overnight, but everything is growing and blooming so I guess it is time to get things started. I'm grateful for this shabby little potting shed greenhouse; it's not much to look at but is just the right amount of space, and frankly a little dream come true. Good for the soul. 





Aaaaand now it is back to school tomorrow. Bittersweet, as I had such fun having everyone home all day long, but also welcome, as we all do well on our regular schedule. And there are just 11 weeks left, with about half of those being 4 day weeks for one reason or the other. We've got this. 

Thanks for joining me on my little recap of all the ordinary, special moments of this past week. It was one to treasure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment