One of the recent additions to my "favorite blogs" list is that of Sarah Marie, who has started a "Little Things" Friday post that I'll be linking up to. This is a fitting way for me to quickly catch you up on some of the little (but very good) things that have been going on around here. Here goes:
1. A few weeks ago I sewed two little bags (all in the same afternoon!). Amy and William had each picked out a fat quarter at this great little fabric store we found, and Amy successfully pestered me into making something for her with it. I used a pattern for a larger tote I've made a few times, reduced the size, and churned out two in about two hours, maybe less.
2. At Target I found the cutest wall decals for the kids' room. Amy and William share a room, and I don't really have a decorating "theme" - mostly just trying to keep it simple and quiet with meaningful pieces on the walls and an absence of branded or gender-specific decor. Just nice colors and nice things for nice kids to look at. But I thought these decals would be something fun and special for each one to have on his/her own side of the room, and to look at while falling asleep. Success on all accounts.
For William I chose the vintage-y cars/trucks/vehicles, which is right up his alley, and for Amy I picked the sea creatures, which is perfect for my animal-loving, science-y girl. (How many times can I use -y inappropriately?)
3. I finally got another string of twinkle lights to go around the living room window. I've had them around the dining room window (left) since Christmas, but left them up for the nice evening light they add to the whole room. After a bit of minor redecorating I decided that since I'm not likely to commit to drapes any time soon, I might as well do lights around the living room window to match. Of course nothing is simple: first set I got from Lowes cost $10, which I thought was steep but accepted, but got them home and discovered that they were too short and too dim. Returned. Second set was from Target, $5, but these were too long and even dimmer. (And each time I was buying the simple 100-count white lights on white wire, 40 watts - no reason for a difference, people). Returned the Target ones and finally ended up at Walmart, where I think I got the original ones anyway, and found them for $2.88, and they are the perfect length and much brighter. Go figure, but thank goodness for ol' Walmart. I bought four boxes, lest I go through this exercise again.
4. Back in the kids's room: See that little table in front of the window? It used to be black and live in the garage holding junk. I spray painted the daylights out of it and now it is pretty and white and exactly the right size for a mutual nightstand. Even found 3 blue bins that fit perfectly on the top shelf to hold.... well, something eventually. (Walmart again, $0.96 each). Very pleased with this project.
Oh, and since the backing is just cheap-o cardboard and didn't take the paint well I just glued scrapbook paper to it, which, miraculously, I HAD, and had exactly the right amount of. Meant to be.
5. Feeling really lucky about these pretty saucers, and the mug they came with. For $2 (total) at Goodwill. They are Fire King by Anchor Hocking. I could hardly believe my eyes when I looked at the bottom; I have coveted Jadite for the longest time but never knew the same type of glass was made in this pretty blue, which I have since learned is called Delphite. The mug alone would go for $30-40 on ebay. (PS - I just found that link when I did a quick google search for an example picture - but apparently I'm in good company with loving the stuff - if only I actually owned some...) Anyway, now I have a start!
6. A not-so-little project for the weekend: Must. Make. Dorothy. Costume. Eek! Wish me luck!
I like this theme... might try to make it a regular Friday thing along with Sarah Marie. Thanks for the idea and the link!