Sunday, May 7, 2017


So since returning from spring break, three weeks ago now, I've been working on all sorts of house projects. Some gardening, some furniture rearranging, general tidying - it's been great. But my two big projects have been makeovers of Amy and William's closets. I started with W's since I haven't really done anything for his room yet (it being in the best shape of any of the bedrooms). After his turned out so well and was such a short and satisfying project I moved right on to Amy's. Her room of course I had completely reprinted in the fall, but didn't touch the closet. Here are some before and afters: 

I don't think the interior walls of either closet have seen a coat of paint since the house was built. Happily I was able to use leftover paint for both -  Timberwolf from A's room for W's closet, and Enchanted, from C's room, for A's closet. Both great colors. 

I bought two big kits of Rubbermaid's "Homefree" (I think that was it?) closet line and with D's help it was a piece of cake to hang the supports. It's also nice to know I can change the rods and shelves as necessary without any trouble. 

Perhaps the best part of this redo was what I finally decided to do as a door replacement for the adequate but irritating standard louvered bifold doors. I hung a shower curtain tension rod and found the coolest bunch of "photo" shower curtains on amazon. W picked this ocean one, shown here with his colossal squid swimming in it. Amy's isn't up yet as I am waiting for the trim paint to cure, but she chose an equally cool forrest scene. I can't wait to see it. These curtains are perfect, as they came in exactly the 75" length needed to cover the whole doorway and they are easy to open and close. The kids pretend it is a portal to the place pictured.  

A's closet is smaller, but was far more worn. I ended up removing-the popcorn on the ceiling, though I had not done so in W's. Naturally, I only though about protective clothing after getting started, so I grabbed the following from C's dress up stuff to keep the plaster dust off my face. 

I'm SO very pleased with these two projects. In my world where there is a constant stream of laundry, dishes, and things to clean only to have them get dirty again, it is nice to do a project that stays done, if you know what I mean. Anyway, that's what's been keeping me busy. Laundry room and master closet are next on the list!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this post. I have been frustrated with our sliding door closets ever since we moved in and this is such a great idea for fixing them! New summer project on the list :) By the way, if you have any tips for keeping 1-year-olds busy while accomplishing such a project, I would love to hear them. Don't know how you do it!!!