Monday, October 6, 2014

In Print

Despite the move (or maybe because of it) I actually managed to read two whole books this summer.  Well, almost, as the second one took me clear through September.. does that count? Anyway, the first book was North to the Orient by Anne Morrow Lindbergh, which was extremely delightful in every way. The second was a book written by a professor at my alma mater. I took his class in advanced expository writing, and it was by far the most memorable and useful class I took at college. Each week we had to turn in short essays based on very general prompts. During class the professor would flip through the class's writings until something caught his eye, for better or worse. A few words of mine got attention here and there, including one excerpt which he liked so much he said he was planned to use it I one of his books.  And he did! 


This book has been on my shelf for ages, and it was at least ten years ago that I wrote this bit, quoted on the page below, in the last big paragraph, starting with "A girl recalled..." 


Of course I'm not mentioned by name or anything so you'll have to take my word for it. Someday I hope I might have a whole book of my very own published.  

And incidentally, I completely agree with my twenty-one year old self. 

No comments:

Post a Comment