Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Design Wall and Quilt Progress

I have about ten minutes of Bob the Builder left to churn out this post, so I'm sacrificing style for content. Here goes.  I left off last post with some strips of pretty fabric squares.  After sewing the strips together I had this: 


Which is cute... but measuring under 30" makes it a bit small, even for a baby quilt... and I'm not in the baby business right now anyway.  So, what to do.  I tacked it up on the wall upstairs and stared at it for awhile, then got an idea.  

 

I whacked off the top and left side, and reattached the pieces on the bottom and right side.  And from there I whacked it into a bunch of pieces.  Now I have pieced squares and rectangles, each measuring about 8x8, 8x4, or 4x4.  And having the quilt up on the wall reignited my long-cherished desire for a design wall.  $8 and 2 yards later I came home with a big piece of white felt from Walmart, and we had this. 

 

Yippee!  It worked exactly as I hoped, and now I can slap up my fabric squares and move them around as much as I like.  It is wonderful. Amy thought so too. So for some extra bonus Mommy points I sat on the floor for an hour and cut shapes out of felt. 

 

Big hit. 



This is the most recent picture I have, but last night I finished placing the rest of the pieces for this quilt, which now measures about 48x60... ish.  I added more squares and rectangles of white and yellow Kona solids (which I had on hand) and a green floral print from the same collection as the little squares.  It was one of the few pieces of this line that I could find on Etsy... note to self: don't wait two years before starting a project; you'll never be able to find the fabric again. 

So, that's where I am. Bob is over now. Might I convince the little monkeys to go upstairs with me so I can do some sewing?  We shall see!!  Thanks for looking, and have a lovely day, folks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment