Friday, July 2, 2010

Dinner Guest



Don was at work through dinnertime today but Amy found a friend to invite to dinner instead. "Balloony" is the bright red mylar balloon that we picked up at the grocery store, and yes, he was our dinner guest.

We went to the store at 4:30 in the afternoon, something I hardly ever do. I didn't even bring a list. Whoa. We needed just a few things but took our time going through the aisles because the store was quiet, little D was sleeping, and it was just nice to be out of the house for a bit. As she always does, Amy spotted the balloons on display throughout the produce section, and since I was feeling generous I let her bring one home.

Totally worth the $3.48, since this balloon was her "best friend" for the rest of the day. In one hour's time this balloon danced with Amy, played hide-and-seek, got a checkup, rang the doorbell, was sad (Amy even worked up real tears on Balloony's behalf), and of course, joined us for dinner. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

She and I are very different people, I am learning. While I am coaching her through a jigsaw puzzle and trying to explain about edge pieces, she is telling me a story about the people who live in the little house in the puzzle picture. When we get out crayons I am coloring neatly in the lines in her coloring book while she pretends that each crayon is a different family member and has them talking to each other. She is amazing, and her imagination completely delights me, but keeping up with her leaves me a wee bit exhausted by the end of the day.

But now Don is home and is upstairs reading stories to Amy, and I have got my little D, my sweet William, next to me. I get the sense that he might be my kindred spirit child, and for now we are enjoying some peace and quiet together.


No comments:

Post a Comment